Keeping It Real (KIR) Foundation is celebrating 6 years of humanitarian service with a Price Giving and Book Donation Day at The Special School for Handicapped Children (SSHC). KIR Foundation promotes the Sustainable Development Goals especially Goal 4, by implementing educational quality improvement projects. According to UNICEF, about 95 percent of children with disabilities numbering over 7 million are out of school in Nigeria. Global Citizen Reports indicates that the lack of educational materials is the 4th hindrance to quality education especially for students with disabilities
Our purpose statement in KIR Foundation is ‘Inspiring Change through Learning’. Therefore, in 2012 we adopted the Special School for Handicapped Children in Port-Harcourt. We have executed the following projects in the Special School to inspire the students to learn;
1. Since 2012 till date we have given educational materials to more than 300 students and 35 teachers.
2. In 2013, we introduced vocational training. We have trained 85 students in 16 vocational skills.
3. We conducted After-School Academic Classes at the school in 2015 for the eight (8) senior students preparing to write their national examinations.
4. Three (3) editions of The Day of The African Child has been celebrated at the special school; promoting inclusion and encouraging the students to be their own voice.
5. In August 2016, with support from our partners, we set up an ICT Resource Room in the school and also renovated the Dining Hall.
6. We commenced the Prize Giving and Book Donation Day at the Special School for Handicapped Children in 2013. The 5th edition holds at the Dining Hall on Friday the 3rd of February, 2017 by 12noon. The theme for the Prize Giving and Book Donation Day 2017 is ‘My Community, My Responsibility’.
What is the reason for this project? You may want to ask. Our response is simple. Firstly, we believe that no one should be left behind in developmental issues and education must be advocated for all. Secondly, we recognize that children with disabilities have abilities and those abilities should be celebrated and encouraged. We aim to motivate the students to have a sense of responsibility towards their community so as to utilize their potentials to the maximum.
Kindly partner with and support us to fulfil our mission which is “to raise innovative leaders committed to life-long learning to transform their communities.” Become a sponsor by kindly donating in-kind or cash.